Disclaimer

Disclaimer: I am providing the content on this blog solely for the reader's general information. This blog contains my personal commentary on issues that interest me. Unless otherwise stated, the views expressed on this blog are mine alone, and not the views of any law firm with which I am in any way associated or any other member of any such law firm. Nothing on this blog is intended to be a solicitation of, or the provision of, legal advice, nor to create an attorney-client relationship with me or any law firm. Please view my "Full Disclaimer" statement at the bottom of the page for additonal information..

Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Courtroom Fashion Gone Wrong: “Snitches Get Stiches” T-Shirt Has Predictable Reaction From Judge



Criminal court seems to be the locus of the greatest cultural clashes in our society.  I’ve seen it time and again when what is expected by the judge and jury runs into what is expected by defendants, and it goes wrong for the group not in power, the defendant.
 
Wrong shirt to wear to court
An update New York man wanted to make a statement when he went to court with a white short-sleeved t-shirt with “Snitches Get Stiches” on the back, and a stop sign above “Snitching” on the front. The judge was not amused and ordered Lawrence Ahrens, Jr., a convicted arsonist, to remove the shirt.  According to the Times Union, Ahrens looked “incredulous” that he couldn’t wear what he wanted to court.  He was in court for sentencing for firebombing the home and vehicle of his former girlfriend’s new boyfriend.  The judge imposed a sentence of 15 years in prison.


The Times Union reported: Afterward, Assistant District Attorney John Healy surmised that the T-shirt may have been Ahrens' way of lashing out at the judicial system as a "white guy with no criminal history" before this trying to make a name for himself before being locked up, or the message may have been directed at his three co-defendants, all of whom are awaiting sentencing but had agreed to testify against Ahrens as part of their plea deals. They are Amy Brzoza, 32; her 33-year-old boyfriend, Michael Chambers; and Michael Garry, 31.

I’m reminded of the time I was part of a juvenile defense clinic in law school and had a client who showed up for a status conference in a t-shrit with two pistols on the front and words that said, “All Haters Must Die.”  I made him take it off, but not before the bailiff saw it and told the judge about it. It didn’t go well. I’d told the kid to wear a shirt and tie. And the time I was in the Jefferson County, Texas courthouse for a hearing on a civil case and walked by a criminal court and was asked by a criminal law attorney to talk some sense into his client. Maybe because I shave my head and have a goatee and was wearing a nice suit, he thought his client would listen to me.  The kid tried to explain to me and his lawyer that his throwback jersey cost more than his lawyer’s suit.  I told the kid that the judge wouldn’t care and really didn’t want to hear that. All the kid could say was “It’s my best throwback.”  I told him, “A twenty dollar collared shirt from Target and ten dollar tie will make the judge like you much more than any throwback.  It’s a uniform for court. You’ve got to wear it, like you wear a jersey when you play basketball, not a suit and tie.”  The kid maybe understood.  Maybe he didn’t.

Clearly, Ahrens didn’t understand. Maybe he didn’t care. Whatever extra time he got for the stupid “Snitching” shirt will give him to contemplate it.  I doubt he’ll understand.

Story and photo credit: Timesunion.com.  http://www.timesunion.com/local/article/A-change-of-clothing-and-then-prison-4884888.php#photo-5305018

No comments:

Post a Comment